When to Repair or Replace a Cracked Windshield
Your windshield crack tends to grow bigger faster than your think. The windshield repairs and replacement should be done immediately after an encounter to avoid windshield from poor conditions. Some of the windshield damages can be covered by the national insurance policy. But it is not the same for all cases.
We have seen customers come for repairs struggling with claiming damage covers because they ignored the repair in the earlier stages. If you are the one, don’t worry we are to help you. RCDCC helps you get quality auto coverage. You can drive with peace of mind knowing that you got quality coverage. Our auto insurance protects you and your car no matter where it takes you.
Now, let’s know when you need windshield replacement.
According to auto glass studies, the windshield replacement is needed when you meet the below conditions.
1. If the auto glass is only tempered and not laminated, you need a windshield replacement.
2. If you got a crack that is bigger than a dollar bill, you are out of help, so windshield replacement is necessary.
3. If the depth of chip or crack is high that it affected almost half of the windshield, you need windshield replacement immediately.
4. If the chip or crack is located in the bad place or extended to the edge of the windshield, it is possible that your windshield is going to break down so better replace it.
Check twice or thrice if you are in one of these conditions. If you do, reach out to the auto glass repair shops that can help you decide whether to repair or replace the windshield.
However, always be careful and stay away from windshield replacement scams. According to national auto motors studies, vehicle owners who have windshield damage to be fixed and contacted an auto repair professional should watch out for insurance scams and fraudulence. The possible scams seem like “FREE” windshield replacement or replacing good-conditioned windshields.
How do you protect yourself from windshield scams?
There are 4 simple ways to protect yourself against windshield replacement scams.
1. Finds out the companies that were affirmed by the Auto Glass Safety Council.
2. Learn what type of warranty covers your work.
3. Contact a few repair companies and get more than one written estimation from each.
4. Pay only after the work is completed.
How do we do windshield repair work?
If you already fixed a windshield chip or crack at home using a kit, you know about the resin, adhesive, or fillers. The same process is held in repair shops but in a more professional manner. To repair a windshield, the resin is injected into the affected area on the glass. It is drilled into cracks and gets filled. A professional does the job without stressing the crack or the windshield. The adhesive is left alone for some time to set properly. You will be advised to avoid direct contact with water or any type of moisture.
I hope the guide helps you find out if your windshield crack needs to repair. We suggest fixing the damaged windshield as soon as possible. Because a small chip even if it’s the size of a chickpea can spread across and create a big spider web that will break an entire windshield. Knowing the seriousness of chips and cracks, in most states, it is illegal to drive a car with a cracked windshield as it is not only dangerous for the owner but also for others on the road.